If an item is unavailable at the Wahlstrom Library, we can request/borrow it from another library through Interlibrary Loan. This is a free service to currently enrolled students, faculty, and staff for course-related or research purposes.
Interlibrary Loan Pre-filled Request Forms
- When you search for articles using Library databases or OneSearch and encounter an article where there is no option for full text access, click the link to Request Item through Interlibrary Loan.
- You will be brought to an Interlibrary Loan Request Form pre-filled with the information for the article that you would like to request. Simply enter your personal information near the bottom of the form and click 'Send Request.'
- This includes the 'Not needed after (date)' which is the last date this article would be useful to you. For example, if you need an article for a research paper due on Aug 10, 2014 you would enter Aug 10, 2014. This way, another library will not send items that you can no longer use, and we will not be charged for items not of use to you.
- Requests are processed in the order they are received.
- Always do a quick Google search to see if the article you want has been placed freely on the web by the author as more than half of the requests received every day by the Interlibrary Loan department are available for free on the web.
We can process up to 7 requests per person per week.
We are unable to request from other libraries the following materials:
- Materials that the library currently owns
(We do request items which the library currently owns but are currently missing.)
- Required course textbooks
- Dissertations and theses that would incur a charge
- Items restricted from Interlibrary Loan by publishers.
- If an item is available from another institution, how quickly it will be delivered can vary depending on the lending library. Our system allows us to look up an item and see a list of libraries that own it. When we place the request, it is sent from library to library until it can be filled.
- Articles -
Will be emailed to your UB email account in PDF format.
Often arrive within a few hours or days, but may take longer.
- Books -
Will be held at the Information Desk on the first floor for you to pick up. You will be notified of their arrival.
Usually arrive within 1-2 weeks.
- To see a public version of the system we use, go to www.worldcat.org and look up the journal title or book title to see other libraries that may be able to provide the item.
Use the Interlibrary Loan Request Form to request books or articles that cannot be found when searching our databases, ejournals, or OneSearch.
Interlibrary Loan Request Form (Form opens in new window)