- Are Excellent background resources
- Answer general questions about your topic
- Help finding (tutorial) print and ebooks...
- Tutorial on how to find print and ebooks in the library's catalog, main search page, and ebook collections.
Browse print books
- Find shelves on 3rd floor with call number ranges below.
- Books within these call number ranges are organized by subject, so you can find other related books.
|Keyword||Call # range|
|Diet Therapy - Dietary Cookbooks||RM 214-258|
|Nutritional Diseases||RC 620-627|
|Physiology (related to nutrition)||QP 141|
Selected ebook titles
- Committee on Nutrition Standards for Foods in Schools, Nutrition Standards for Foods in Schools : Leading the Way Toward Healthier Youth, 2007.
- Zempleni, J., Hannelore, D., Zempleni, J., Molecular Nutrition, 2003.
- Bender, D.A., Benders’ Dictionary of Nutrition and Food Technology, 2006.
- Rucker, R.B., Handbook of Vitamins, 2001.
- Colton, K. Smart Guide to Healing Foods, 1999.
- Koletzko, B.; Michaelsen, K.F., Hernell, O. Short and Long Term Effects of Breast Feeding on Child Health, 2002 .
- Are Foreground resources
- Answer detailed questions
- Tutorial on how to find articles using the library's main search page and individual subject databases.
- How to find specific print and ejournals.
|oaFindr||Accounting, Acupuncture, Agriculture, Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Botanical Medicine, Business, Business English, Chinese Medicine, Chiropractic, Communication, Computer Science, Counseling, Creative Writing, Criminal Justice, Dental Hygiene, Design Management, East Asia, Education, Engineering, Environment, Exercise, Fashion, Global Development, Graphic Design, Health Sciences, History, Human Resources, Human Services, Humanities, Industrial Design, Industrial Relations, Interior Design, International Business, International Studies, Knowledge Management, Law, Literature, Management, Marketing, Martial Arts, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Medical Laboratory Science, Music, Naturopathic Medicine, Nursing, Nutrition, Pharmacy, Philosophy, Physician Assistant, Political Science, Psychology, Public Affairs, Science, Social Issues, Sociology, Technology, Technology Management, World Religions|
|ScienceDirect||Accounting, Acupuncture, Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Botanical Medicine, Chinese Medicine, Chiropractic, Computer Science, Counseling, Dental Hygiene, Engineering, Exercise, Health Sciences, Human Services, Knowledge Management, Mathematics, Medical Laboratory Science, Naturopathic Medicine, Nursing, Nutrition, Pharmacy, Physician Assistant, Psychology, Technology Management||Video Tutorial|
|PubMed||Acupuncture, Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Botanical Medicine, Chinese Medicine, Chiropractic, Counseling, Dental Hygiene, Exercise, Health Sciences, Human Services, Medical Laboratory Science, Naturopathic Medicine, Nursing, Nutrition, Pharmacy, Physician Assistant, Psychology||Video Tutorial|
|Natural Medicines||Acupuncture, Botanical Medicine, Chinese Medicine, Chiropractic, eBooks, Health Sciences, hs-mono, Naturopathic Medicine, Nursing, Nutrition, Physician Assistant, Reference||Video Tutorial|
|The Cochrane Library||Acupuncture, Biomedical Engineering, Botanical Medicine, Chinese Medicine, Chiropractic, Dental Hygiene, Exercise, Grey Literature, Health Sciences, Naturopathic Medicine, Nursing, Nutrition, Pharmacy, Physician Assistant, Reference||Video Tutorial|
|CINAHL with Full Text – Cumulative Index to Nursing & Allied Health Literature*||Acupuncture, Biomedical Engineering, Botanical Medicine, Chinese Medicine, Chiropractic, Dental Hygiene, Exercise, Health Sciences, Medical Laboratory Science, Naturopathic Medicine, Nursing, Nutrition, Pharmacy, Physician Assistant||Video Tutorial|
|AMED – The Allied and Complementary Medicine Database||Acupuncture, Botanical Medicine, Chinese Medicine, Chiropractic, Exercise, Naturopathic Medicine, Nutrition, Pharmacy||Video Tutorial|
|Alt HealthWatch||Acupuncture, Botanical Medicine, Chinese Medicine, Chiropractic, Exercise, Martial Arts, Naturopathic Medicine, Nutrition, Pharmacy||Video Tutorial||Name||Categories||Video Tutorial|
Selected ejournal titles
- The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition – available from 1952
- Food and Nutrition Sciences – available from 2010
- Nutrition Bulletin – available from 1996
Selected print journal titles
- Annual Review of Nutrition
- Journal of Nutritional Immunology
- Nutrition Research Newsletter
- Tutorial on how to find films, CDs, and other audio and visual resources in the library's catalog and online resources.
Selected Nutrition Videos/DVDs
- The Library of Nutrition and Cancer. Health Science Institute. 1997.
- Nutrition for persons with HIV Infection. Bridges, T., Church, M.J. Health Sciences Consortium, 1991.
- Nutritional Influences in Neurological Disease. Pearlmutter, D. Digital Dynamics, 1997.
Selected Nutrition Websites
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
The world's largest organization of food and nutrition professionals.
American Society for Nutrition
A non-profit organization dedicated to bringing together researchers, clinical nutritionists and industry to advance the knowledge and application of nutrition.
Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
The Center provides services to consumers, domestic and foreign industry and other outside groups regarding field programs, agency administrative tasks, scientific analysis and support, and policy, planning and handling of critical issues related to food and cosmetics.
Connecticut Nutrition Standards
Developed by the Connecticut State Department of Education, in response to Section 10-215e of the Connecticut State statutes.
Nutrient Data Laboratory Home Page
This branch of the USDA Agricultural Research Service develops authoritative food composition databases and state of the art methods to acquire, evaluate, compile and disseminate composition data on foods and dietary supplements available in the United States.
This site provides access to vetted food and nutrition information from across the federal government, and serves as a gateway to reliable information on nutrition, healthy eating, physical activity, and food safety for consumers.
Office of Dietary Supplements
This National Institute of Health Office's mission is to strengthen knowledge and understanding of dietary supplements by evaluating scientific information, stimulating and supporting research, disseminating research results, and educating the public to foster an enhanced quality of life and health for the U.S. population.
Society for Nutritional Education and Behavior
Promotes effective nutrition education and communication to support and improve healthful behaviors and disseminates research findings.
USDA's Nutrition Evidence Library
Uses state-of-the-art methodology to objectively review, evaluate and synthesize research to answer important diet-related questions.
PubMed is a premiere (though not the only) biomedical article citation database. Created and maintained by the National Library of Medicine (NLM), it contains more than 28 million citations - and growing.
Generally, citation databases contain only citations, information about available articles, not the full-text itself, though PubMed does make available a small amount of open-access full-text articles via PubMed Central. However, the Wahlstrom Library has worked with the NLM to enable the embedding of Link Resolvers (in our case, a purple and lavender rectangular button that says 'sfx' on it) onto the upper right of every abstract page on PubMed. These Link Resolvers check to see if the Wahlstrom Library has access to an individual article's full text from one of our many resources - even if PubMed Central does not - and if we do, it links you through to the full-text.
You will only see these Link Resolvers when you have authenticated yourself as a UB student/staff/faculty, either through the myUB portal login page, or via the library's login page. (If you forget to log in while at home, off campus, and go to PubMed on the open web, you will not see these Link Resolvers, and won't get nearly as much full-text.)
Tips on Using PubMed
PubMed has many features, and even several ways you can search it. It also has a controlled vocabulary, its indexing terms, called MeSH, which you will have to use for assignments along the way. Below are links to helpful information about using PubMed.
- Wahlstrom Library 209
Contact the Health Science Liaison for:
- Help with research assignments and projects
- Information literacy sessions
- Subscribe to our 'Health Science Resources @ Your Library' e-mail newsletter
- Health Science Resources @ Your Library newsletter Archives