- An in-depth treatment of specific issues, theories, phenomena, or research questions.
- Often involve experiments, original data, and interpretations of research projects.
- Written by experts and scholars.
- Often provide data, formulas, and research methodologies.
- Usually includes a bibliography of additional resources on the topic.
- Many have gone through the peer review process to ensure accuracy and reliability.
- Language and content is intended for experts and researchers, which can make reading and comprehension difficult.
- Articles may cover a very narrow aspect of a larger topic, requiring the use of additional resources to fully explore and address your topic.
The link above brings you to a tutorial on how to find articles using the library's main search page and individual subject databases, and how to find specific journal titles.
|Handbook of Traditional Chinese Medicine||Acupuncture, Biology, Botanical Medicine, Chinese Medicine, Health Sciences, Naturopathic Medicine, Pharmacy|
|oaFindr||Accounting, Acupuncture, Agriculture, Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Botanical Medicine, Business, Business English, Chinese Medicine, Chiropractic, Communication, Computer Science, Counseling, Creative Writing, Criminal Justice, Dental Hygiene, Design Management, East Asia, Education, Engineering, Environment, Exercise, Fashion, Global Development, Graphic Design, Health Sciences, History, Human Resources, Human Services, Humanities, Industrial Design, Industrial Relations, Interior Design, International Business, International Studies, Knowledge Management, Law, Literature, Management, Marketing, Martial Arts, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Medical Laboratory Science, Music, Naturopathic Medicine, Nursing, Nutrition, Pharmacy, Philosophy, Physician Assistant, Political Science, Psychology, Public Affairs, Science, Social Issues, Sociology, Technology, Technology Management, World Religions|
|Scopus||Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Botanical Medicine, Counseling, History, Human Services, Martial Arts, Mathematics, Music, Pharmacy, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Social Issues, Sociology, World Religions||Video Tutorial|
|Science Reference Center*||Biology||Video Tutorial|
|ScienceDirect||Accounting, Acupuncture, Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Botanical Medicine, Chinese Medicine, Chiropractic, Computer Science, Counseling, Dental Hygiene, Engineering, Exercise, Health Sciences, Human Services, Knowledge Management, Mathematics, Medical Laboratory Science, Naturopathic Medicine, Nursing, Nutrition, Pharmacy, Physician Assistant, Psychology, Technology Management||Video Tutorial|
|PubMed||Acupuncture, Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Botanical Medicine, Chinese Medicine, Chiropractic, Counseling, Dental Hygiene, Exercise, Health Sciences, Human Services, Medical Laboratory Science, Naturopathic Medicine, Nursing, Nutrition, Pharmacy, Physician Assistant, Psychology||Video Tutorial|
|JSTOR||Accounting, Biology, Communication, Counseling, Creative Writing, Design Management, East Asia, Education, ESL, Fashion, Global Development, Graphic Design, History, Human Services, Industrial Design, Interior Design, Literature, Martial Arts, Mathematics, Medical Laboratory Science, Music, Nursing, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, World Religions||Video Tutorial|
|Academic Search Premier*||Audio Visual, Biology, Business, Counseling, Creative Writing, Criminal Justice, Design Management, East Asia, Education, ESL, Fashion, Global Development, Graphic Design, History, Human Services, Industrial Design, Interior Design, International Studies, Literature, Martial Arts, Mathematics, Medical Laboratory Science, Music, Nursing, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Social Issues, Sociology, World Religions||Video Tutorial||Name||Categories||Video Tutorial|
Selected ejournal titles
- The American Naturalist – available from 1867 - 1922
- Biologist – available from 2001
- Microbiological reviews – available from 1937
- Plant species biology – available from 1996
- Zoosystematics and Evolution – available from 1996
Selected print journal titles
- Advances in Marine Biology
- Evolutionary Biology
- Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology
- Excellent background resources
- Answer general questions about your topic
- Tutorial on how to find print and ebooks in the library's catalog, main search page, and ebook collections.
Browse print books
- Find shelves on 3rd floor with call number ranges below.
- Books within these call number ranges are organized by subject, so you can find other related books.
|Keyword||Call # range|
Selected ebook titles
- Arora, M., Kania, C., Organic Evolution, 2009.
- Grand, N., Comprehensive Dictionary of Biology, 2008.
- Anderson, M., Introduction to Biology: Closer Look at Living Things, 2011.
- Coen, E., The Art of Genes: How Organisms Make Themselves, 1999.
- Hardcastle, V., Where Biology Meets Psychology: Philosophical Essays, 1999.
- Ball, P., The Self-made Tapestry: Pattern Formation in Nature, 1999.
Selected Biology Websites
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
The latest news from the international non-profit organization dedicated to advancing science around the world by serving as an educator, leader, spokesperson and professional association.
Animal Diversity Web
An online database of animal natural history, distribution, classification and conservation biology from the University of Michigan.
HHMI's interactive, free resources for biology instructors and students.
Website listing out the bionet USENET newsgroups and parallel e-mail lists used by biological scientists worldwide.
Cell and Molecular Biology Online
An informational portal for cell and molecular biologists.
The result of 30 years of capturing film and computer-enhanced images of living cells and organisms for education and medical research. Includes stock video and still images available for education-related, licensed use.
Educational materials from the University of Utah on genetics, bioscience and health topics, designed to be used by students, teachers and members of the public. The materials meet selected US education standards for science and health.
The non-profit organization's online educational site containing information about ocean life, marine biology, and marine conservation.
A peer reviewed, digital media center for undergraduate microbiology sponsored by the American Society for Microbiology.
Online encyclopedia with more than than 70,000 plants, animals, and ecosystems of the United States and Canada, including particularly in-depth coverage for rare and endangered species.
Standardized information from the USDA about the vascular plants, mosses, liverworts, hornworts, and lichens of the U.S. and its territories.
The Biology Project
The University of Arizona's interactive online resource for learning biology.
Tree of Life
A collection of information about biodiversity compiled collaboratively by hundreds of expert and amateur contributors.
An interactive tool that visualizes the global distribution of thousands of species that roam the Earth.
- Tutorial on how to find films, CDs, and other audio and visual resources in the library's catalog and online resources.
Selected Biology Videos/DVDs
- The Biology of Bacteria. BioMedia Associates. Projected Learning Programs. 1979.
- Biology Concepts: Modern Genetics. Goodman, H., Sutton, W., Morgan, T. Educational Activities Video. 1991.
- Men, Women and the Sex Difference. Stossel, J., et al. Films for the Humanities. 1995.