Naturopathic Medicine resources
Access Medicine provides you with thousands of online resources that are updated weekly with the newest research and emerging trends across a number of healthcare professions. You might want to select this database if you are focusing on an emerging trend, or current event within the health field.
Alt HealthWatch focuses on the multiple perspectives of complementary, holistic and integrated approaches to health care. Full-text content comes from more than 180 international peer-reviewed and professional journals, magazines, reports, proceedings, and association and consumer newsletters, plus hundreds of pamphlets, booklets, special reports, original research, and book excerpts. You might select this database if you are looking for multiple perspectives, or a discussion, on a specific treatment or method.
AMED – The Allied and Complementary Medicine Database is an alternative medicine database designed for students, researchers and clinicians looking to learn more about alternative treatments. It contains details of relevant journal articles from over 500 journals many of which are not indexed elsewhere. It is a bibliographic database produced by the Health Care Information Service of the British Library
CINAHL with Full Text – Cumulative Index to Nursing & Allied Health Literature* CINAHL, the Cumulated Index to Nursing & Allied Health Literature, is a comprehensive nursing & allied health research database, providing full text for more than 760 journals. CINAHL with Full Text also contains searchable cited references for more than 1,150 journals and provides full text for 329 journals, plus legal cases, clinical innovations, critical paths, drug records, research instruments and clinical trials. PDF backfiles to 1982 are also included.
The Cochrane Library is a collection of three databases that contain different types of high-quality, independent evidence to inform healthcare decision-making, and tool you can use to get quick answers to clinical questions. Includes: Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR) – Cochrane Reviews, Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL) – Clinical Trials, Epistemonikos – “Other Reviews,” Clinical Answers.
HerbMedPro is an interactive, electronic herbal database provides hyperlinked access to the scientific data underlying the use of herbs for health. It is an evidence-based information resource for professionals, researchers, and general public.
Natural Medicines a resource which provides information about specific herbs and supplements and their effects, as well as citation for effects for further research.
PubMed: Grants access to MEDLINE (which contains citations and abstracts, and provides access to a broad range of biomedical and health literature). This could lead you to find articles you might need an ILL request for. New reference items for not yet indexed in MEDLINE are included in PubMed. Alternative Medicine, Acupuncture, and Naturopathic journals are included.
PsycARTICLES– Covers the professional academic literature focusing on psychology and related disciplines including medicine, psychiatry, nursing, sociology, education, pharmacology, physiology, linguistics, and other areas.
ScienceDirect provides access to more than 18 million articles and book chapters from over 2,650 peer-reviewed journals and 42,000 e-books, including books, book series and major reference works, and digital archives that reach as far back as 1823 to help users discover more science, use their time efficiently and make decisions with the highest-quality scientific information.
UpToDate–this database focuses on patient care, it uses current evidence to answer clinical questions quickly and easily. The goal is to save clinicians’ time, while improving outcomes, and lowering health care costs.
Selected ejournal titles
- Journal of Herbal Medicine – Available from 2011. You can access this journal through ScienceDirect. The content areas of the journal reflect the interests of Medical Herbalists and other health professionals interested in the clinical and professional application of botanical medicines.
- Frontiers in Pharmacology – Available from 2009. Available through the Directory of Open Access Journals. Focuses on basic and clinical pharmacology, medicinal chemistry, pharmacy and toxicology.
- Herbalgram –Available from 1990. Available through AltHealthWatch. Focuses on the use of Herbs and their usage. The articles have a variety of subjects that range from market trends, usage, to focusing on specific items such as pomegranates, as well as quality control.
- Alternative & Complementary Therapies – Available from 2010-2019. Available from Liebert Online Journals. Focuses on publishing both practical and evidence-based research with a subject focus of integrating alternative medical therapies and approaches into private practice or hospital integrative medicine programs.
- Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice – Available from 2005. Available from Science Direct. The focus of this journal is on the integration of complimentary therapies in clinical practices.
- Townsend Letter for Doctors & Patients – Available from 1990 – 2006. Available from AltHealth Watch. This journal serves as a forum for practitioner and public opinion about alternative medicine.
- Complementary Therapies in Medicine – Available from 1993. Available from the Directory of Open Access Journals. Emphasizes their focus on providing critical and objective information regarding Complementary Therapies.